As many of you know, I’m a huge lover of colors and prints. However, I’ve found it’s really important to have a foundation of neutral basics so I have more options to mix and match the colors/prints with to create a variety of outfits. Investing in basics is also a great way to get more value out of a piece. We’re definitely more likely to rewear a classic white dress time after time than a printed, colorful one. Although there is some overlap, my foundation of basics changes with the season so I really want to make this a series! Of course, let’s start with summer. I’m breaking down every piece below!
1. Striped button down: A button down of any type is such a closet staple but for summer, I love a blue striped one. There are hundreds of ways to style a button down including numerous hacks of unique ways to tie them via IG/TikTok/Youtube, but my favorite ways are wearing them unbuttoned over a dress or tight tank, tying up the ends into a knot and tucking them into pants.
2. Ribbed tank: a tight, neutral color tank goes with just about anything. I like the texture that a ribbed one creates but I tend to opt for ones that have a more thick/structured material to give a more elevated look.
3. Neutral headband: Headbands are one of my favorite accessories! I like pretty much any material or texture, but for a basic one that will go with any outfit, opt for a neutral color and no embellishments.
4. Espadrille sandals: Espadrilles are such a great coastal, classic piece that are super versatile. I opt for a higher heel, but a lower heel or a flat will also do the trick!
5. Gold hoops: These are definitely a year round staple for me! Simple ones are great, but I still find that ones that have a texture, like the twisted ones shown here, are really versatile and go with everything.
6. Rattan crossbody: The rattan, straw, raffia, etc material really is THE material of the summer for accessories! I put crossbody as the specific style of bag because it’s the conducive for being on-the-go.
7. White denim jacket: Denim jackets are a year round staple for me but I love a white one specifically for the summer!
8. Neutral lady jacket: The “lady jacket” is the outerwear style of the year — I feel like I’ve been seeing it everywhere! I’ve seen them in so many materials, but mostly a sweater knit, boucle and tweed. I think these are great to bring to dinner when it gets chilly outside.
9. Neutral trousers: I love that trousers are having a moment! They’re so comfortable and airy for summer. I’ve seen them in both cotton and linen and I love both.
10. White wide leg jeans: These are a loose-fitting summer white pant that will keep you chic and feeling breezy that can also transition to fall.
11. Elevated flip flops: A classic thong sandal will live in your closet forever.
12. Denim shorts: I love classic blue denim shorts, but I find myself reaching for them more if they aren’t too tight or short! I love ones that are a bit looser and have a longer inseam!
13. Trouser shorts: I love the trouser style in shorts form too! They’re so breezy and more elevated than a denim short.
14. Pearl necklace: There’s nothing more classic than pearls! You can opt for a simple pendant pearl necklace but I like that this one has a few to add extra interest.
15. Pearl earrings: Similarly to the necklace, you can opt for something more simple, but pearls are so versatile that I think even a more unique pair, like these, will still go with any outfit.
16. T-strap thong sandals: This style has never left or become less popular. This silhouette and material type is long-lasting and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon!
17. Shirt dress: A button down is one of the most important closet basics, so the same thing in dress form doesn’t fall far behind on the list!
18. Neutral mini dress: A black or white mini dress is one of my most worn summer pieces! A flowy silhouette is a must in hot summer temps. I love that these can be dressed up or down easily!
19. Neutral midi/maxi dress: This is another most worn item in the Charleston heat! Midi/maxi dresses are so comfy and easy to throw on but I always feel so much more elevated in them than I would in shorts!